Growing up in the East Coast of Canada we Maritimers enjoy this dessert on a regular basis during blueberry season. I wouldn’t be surprised if you haven’t heard of it, it’s quite specific to this neck of the woods and it’s really one of our best kept secrets. If you’ve ever traveled to our beautiful coast than you may have heard or tried this delicious dessert. If not you need not wait any longer, it’s so easy to make and tastes soooo good. ❤
What’s with the silly name though? Well that’s what speculation is all about. Some people say it’s the grunting sound the blueberries make as the dessert bakes and others say it’s the grunting you make when you taste just how fantastic this dessert is. I tend to lean toward the latter reason. I personally grunt every time I take a bite of this amazing Maritime treat. ❤
This dessert is as lovely to make as it is to eat as it comes together quickly. Topping this dessert are sweet fluffy mounds of biscuit and under those yummy biscuity clouds you’ll find loads of wild blueberries that make you smile blue and fill your belly with pure joy. So you can see why I needed to convert this with my way of eating on Trim Healthy Mama to make this a great S fuel type dessert. (Learn more about THM here)
I have been making an effort to convert the recipes I’ve enjoyed throughout my life to be carb smart. I’m looking to enjoy these dishes without spiking my insulin and sending my body into fat storage mode. Surprisingly this dish was easy to convert, and I’m happy to share it with you now.
3 cups of blueberries, (fresh are best but frozen will work)
½ tsp Nutmeg
½ tsp Cinnamon, ground
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
6 Tbsp Gentle Sweet Blend – OR – 3 Tbsp Super Sweet Blend – OR – 1 cup Erythritol (BUY HERE)
2 Tbsp Butter softened (or Coconut oil)
3 Tbsp + 1 tsp Gentle Sweet Blend – OR – 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp of Super Sweet Blend – OR – 1/2 cup Erythritol (BUY HERE)
1 cup of Unsweetened Almond Milk (or Coconut Milk)
3/4 cup Baking Blend (BUY HERE)
1/2 cup Coconut Flour
1/4 cup Almond Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder – aluminum free
Pinch of Mineral Salt (BUY HERE)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium-sized bowl mix blueberries, nutmeg, cinnamon, lemon juice and sweetener until berries are well coated
- Place blueberries in the bottom of a greased (with butter or coconut oil) 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Cream together the butter, sweetener, and egg. Add the unsweetened almond milk, baking blend, and other flours, baking powder, and salt. Beat until evenly combined.
- Drop by Tbsp spoonfuls on top of the blueberry mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 1 hour.
- Let cool for half an hour, serve and enjoy
1/6th of this recipe is one serving size to fit into an S setting as blueberries are limited to 1/2 cup serving size. 3 / 6 = .5