It’s fall here in beautiful Nova Scotia, and the days are definitely getting cooler, the leaves are starting to turn, and most importantly baking season is back on baby! Although I do admit whenever I’d find a cool enough day during the summer the oven would come on and we’d suffer but we’d eat yummy low-carb baked goodies. Sadly that didn’t happen often enough. I really missed being in the kitchen creating and smelling the aromas that wrap around you, coaxing you to salivate as you await the finished product. Then finally just when you think you can’t wait a minute longer you finally get to bite into that yum yum……. AHHHHHH catharsis!!!! ❤ ❤ ❤
Fall always inspires me to create warm sweet spicy numbers. You know exactly what I mean don’t you? How about some…pumpkin, apple, pear something or other… to name a few. However today I’m keeping it super simple with a recipe I know you’ll love as much as I do.
It’s so sweet and spicy, with the playful flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and allspice marrying together so delicately and perfectly. Deciding to top this with a Maple Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Icing made perfect sense to me, and it matches the warm spicy flavors so perfectly that you’ll be so glad you got yourself into the kitchen to make these beauties.
These Spice Cake Cupcakes truly are the quintessential “flavors of Fall” all on their own….warm, spicy, and sweet, but when you top them off with Maple Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Icing….you’re automatically transported to thoughts of Thanks-giving, fall foliage, and big warm sweaters. Delightful! ❤ ❤ ❤
For the Cupcakes-
1 cup Almond Milk (at room temperature)
2 tsp white vinegar
1 cup Butter softened (Or Coconut oil for dairy free)
5 large Eggs
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Cinnamon ground
1 tsp Nutmeg ground
1/2 tsp Allspice ground
1/2 tsp Cloves ground
1/4 tsp Mineral Salt (buy here)
For the Icing-
1/2 cup Butter softened
8 oz Cream Cheese softened
1 1/2 tsp Maple Extract
2 Tbsp of Gwen’s Nest Brown Sugar (find recipe here) *important info see notes!!!
For the Cupcakes-
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, prepare muffin tin with butter or if using cupcake liners spray liners with coconut oil.
- Add white vinegar to Almond Milk and set aside
- Cream together sweetener and butter in a large bowl stand mixer or with a hand held mixer.
- One by one add eggs and blend well for each egg.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until well blended, wiping down sides of bowl as you go.
- While mixing slowly add the almond milk/white vinegar mixture. Blend well
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin by the 1/4 cup size scoop.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 mins (while cupcakes are baking make icing)
- Let cool completely before icing.
For the Icing-
- Whip together softened butter and softened cream cheese in medium sized bowl stand mixer or hand mixer until fluffy
- Add sweeteners and extract and whip well wiping down sides of bowl as you go.
- Set aside to ice the cupcakes until they are fully cooled.
*I make Gwen’s Brown Sugar recipe with Super Sweet Blend but in the same amounts. She recommends you use Xylitol or Erythritol, so if you do indeed use Erythritol or Xylitol to make her brown sugar use 2/3 cup instead of 2 Tbsp as noted.